Once you have joined a union as a student member, you should also join a unemploymend fund. If you ever become unemployed, only membership in a unemployment fund provides you wiht a better earnings-related unemployment security.

You can apply for student membership of the unemployment fund at any time, but membership of the fund only begins when you go to paid employment alongside your studies.

The employment does not have to be work in the health care sector, but  one day's paid employment in any field is enough to become a member of the fund - provided that you send the membership application to the fund no later than on the day you work. You cannot apply for membership of the fund retrospecitvely after the employment has already ended.